Stay of more than 3 months in Belgium: registration non-EU/EEA without visa type D
Are you coming to Belgium for a stay of more than 3 months without a visa type D? Then you must register yourself in the city registry as soon as possible. Note: you can only do so if you already reside at your permanent address in Leuven.
You meet all 3 conditions below:
- You are a non-EU/EEA national.
Do you have the Swiss nationality? Register as an EU national.
- You are coming to Belgium for more than 3 months.
- You do not have a visa type D for one of the following reasons:
- You are exempt from visa for short stay.
- You hold a valid residence card of another EU country.
- You are applying for family reunification with an EU national.
You should preferably come to Belgium with a type D visa.
Do you still wish to apply for your visa in Belgium? Keep in mind that the application procedure may take a long time, and that the municipal authorities or the FPS Home Affairs (Immigration Office) may refuse the visa application.
Not intended for:
- Foreign students
Are you coming to Belgium to study at a Belgian university or college? Then the procedure for students applies.
- In Belgium with a visa type D
Are you coming to Belgium with a visa type D? In that case, a different procedure applies.
- Change of status
Do you already have legal stay of more than 3 months in Belgium and do you wish to change your residence status? In that case, you submit an application for a change of residence status.
How to register?
- Register your short stay
- Register your short stay.
- State in your application that you wish to submit an application for long stay during your short stay (so as to work in Belgium or for family reunification).
- We will provide you with the necessary information regarding your application for long stay.
- Submit your application for long stay
Before the period of your short stay expires, you submit your application for long stay.