Changing your residence status

Are you already legally residing in Belgium, and do you wish to change your residence status? Contact us.

For whom?

In one of the following situations:

  • You arrived in Belgium without a type D visa and registered your short stay. You are now applying for a stay of more than 3 months.
  • You already hold a Belgian residence permit, and you want to change your residence status.

Which documents do you require?

This depends on your situation.
Contact us to ask which documents you need to submit.

How to apply for a change of status?

  • Email to:
  • Subject line of the email: 'residence application' + surname + given name(s) (as stated on your national passport) + Belgian national registration number (‘rijksregisternummer’) or reference number of your declaration of arrival (annex 3)
  • Mention the following information in the email:
    • Surname, given name(s) (as stated on your national passport)
    • Reason for the application (change of status)
    • Belgian phone number
  • Attach the following documents (in PDF format, each document scanned separately and in colour):
    • National passport (biodata page)
    • Residence permit (front and back) or declaration of arrival (annex 3)
    • The documents required for the application for a change of status
      • Medical certificate (if required):
Only complete files will be processed.
Prefer not to apply online?
Come to the city office, by appointment.
When applicable, you will immediately receive proof of your registration (‘annex 15’, ‘annex 19ter’, 'annex 33ter' or 'annex 41bis').
Which documents do I need?

What happens after your application?

No more than 2 weeks later, you will receive a confirmation by email that we received your application. In some cases, you will receive an invitation to come to the city office to collect proof of your change of status (an ‘annex 15’, ‘annex 19ter’, ‘annex 33ter’ or ‘annex 41bis’). You make an appointment.

What do you need to bring?

  • National passport
  • Invitation from the city
  • The documents mentioned in your invitation

Make an appointment

The decision period depends on the change which you apply for.


The administrative fee depends on the change which you apply for.

Professor Van Overstraetenplein 1
3000 Leuven

Something wrong or unclear on this page? Let us know.