Working in Belgium: what do you need?

Non-Belgians who want to work during their stay in Belgium, sometimes require approval.

You are a non-EU national whose main reason for residing in Belgium is work

You must apply for a single permit through your employer. This permit is an electronic residence card which gives you 2 permits: to reside as well as to work.

More info from the federal authorities

All other non-Belgians who reside in Belgium

Whether you are permitted to work depends on your residence status. This is mentioned on your residence permit.

Contact the non-Belgians office for more information:

Counter non-Belgians - working in Belgium

Professor Van Overstraetenplein 1
3000 Leuven

Residence permit for non-EU/EEA graduates or researchers whose research project has been completed (‘search year’)

Are you a non-EU/EEA student or researcher, and do you want to look for a job or set up your own business in Belgium after graduating or having completed your research project? In that case, you can apply for a temporary residence permit which gives you one year’s time to do so ('search year’).

Collection work permit B

Sometimes you do require a work permit B (e.g. to work in Belgium during a short stay, as au pair or during a working holiday). The city will send you an invitation to collect it at the city office, by appointment.

Make an appointment

Professor Van Overstraetenplein 1
3000 Leuven

Something wrong or unclear on this page? Let us know.