Students: renewal of residence
Are you a non-EU/EEA citizen with student residence status, is your residence card about to expire and do you wish to continue your studies in Belgium? Then you must apply for an extension of your stay.
When to apply for renewal?
- As soon as you have assembled all the required documents
- At the latest 15 days before the expiry date of your residence card
Sometimes you have to wait for a decision from the federal government (FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office).
How to apply?
You come to the city office (by appointment).
What do you need to bring?
- Valid national passport
- Residence permit
- Regarding the new academic year:
- Regarding the past academic year (unless you are exempt, e.g. PhD students):
- Standard form for study progress ('standaardformulier') provided by your university or college
- Transcript of your exam results
- 1 recent passport-size photo (maximum 6 months old): pay attention to the requirements for photos.
There is a photo booth in the city office.
You can pay using cash or a debit/credit card.
- Normal procedure
- Expedited procedure
If the application is submitted before 2 pm, delivery the following working day: € 110