Students: renewal of residence
Are you a non-EU/EEA citizen with student residence status, is your residence card about to expire and do you wish to continue your studies in Belgium? Then you must apply for an extension of your stay.
When to apply for renewal?
- As soon as you have assembled all the required documents
- At the latest 15 days before the expiry date of your residence card
If you change your address (within Leuven), you must report your move online. Do not delay submitting your application for renewal of residence until you have moved or until your new address has been confirmed. You may not exceed the deadline for renewal application.
How to apply?
You come to the city office (by appointment).
What do you need to bring?
- Valid national passport
- Residence permit
- Regarding the new academic year:
- Proof of enrolment at your university or college
- Proof of financial solvency (a scholarship, blocked account or ‘annex 32’)
The conditions for submitting an annex 32 were changed in November 2021. These conditions apply to a guarantor both abroad and in Belgium.
- Proof of health insurance (e.g. 'certificate of insurability')
- Regarding the past academic year (unless you are exempt, e.g. PhD students):
- Standard form for study progress ('standaardformulier') provided by your university or college
- Transcript of your exam results
- 1 passport-size photo (maximum 6 months old). Pay attention to the requirements (Dutch only)
There is a photo booth in the city office.
You can pay using cash or a debit/credit card.
- Normal procedure
- Expedited procedure
If the application is submitted before 2 pm, delivery the following working day: € 110
What happens after your application?
If you submit your application in full and on time, the city will renew your stay and you may immediately apply for a new residence card. However, your application must meet the requirements of the federal authorities (FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office). For instance: you must have obtained sufficient study credits, you must have sufficient financial means, ….
If this is not the case, or in case of doubt, the city will forward your application to the federal authorities. In this case, the city will invite you once the federal authorities have made a decision.