Registering a birth
If your child was born in Leuven, you have to register this birth with the municipality. The municipality will then draw up a birth certificate.
When should I register a birth?
At the latest 15 days after the birth.
If the 15th day is a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday, the deadline is the next workday.
Who may register a birth?
If the child’s parents are not married, the father or co-mother may only register the birth alone after acknowledging parentage of the child before the birth. Otherwise, the mother has to be present as well.
How to register?
Go to the city office after making an appointment.
What do you need to bring?
- Birth registration form
- Issued by the hospital (eBirth)
- Issued by the physician or midwife in case of home birth
- Parents’ identity documents
- If the parents are married: marriage certificate
- If the parents are not married and acknowledged parentage of the child before the birth: declaration of acknowledgement of parentage
Free of charge.