Marriage abroad: recognition

If you get married abroad you must have the marriage recognised in Belgium.


Come after marriage to the City Office, by appointment.

Make an appointment

What must you bring?

  • Copy of the marriage certificate
    • After it has been recognised, do you also want the marriage certificate transferred to the city's registers? We need the marriage certificate with a sworn translation into Dutch.
    • Attention: foreign documents sometimes need to be legalised.
  • Your identity card
  • (Copy of) your partner's identity card or passport


Free of charge.

Professor Van Overstraetenplein 1
3000 Leuven

Something wrong or unclear on this page? Let us know.