Brexit: exchanging residence permit

Are you a British citizen or their family member, do you live in Leuven and did you have an annex 8/8bis, an E/E+ card or an F/F+ card on 31 December 2020? Then you will have to exchange your residence permit for an M card in 2021.

All other British citizens and their family members can obtain more information regarding Brexit from the Immigration Office (federal authorities) or the non-Belgians Counter (city of Leuven). 

How to apply for the M card?

You come to the city office, by appointment

Make an appointment 

What do you need to bring?

  • Valid national passport or identity card
  • Valid residence permit
  • Recent criminal record (in Dutch) (maximum 6 months old) 
  • 1 recent passport-size photo (maximum 6 months old): pay attention to the requirements.
    There is a photo booth in the city office (suitable from the age of 3).


You can pay using cash or a debit/credit card.

  • Normal procedure
  • Expedited procedure 
    If the application is submitted before 2 pm, delivery the following working day: € 110

Collection M card

After you have received your pin and pukcodes by post, you may collect the M card at the city office, by appointment.

Make an appointment for collection

Professor Van Overstraetenplein 1
3000 Leuven

Something wrong or unclear on this page? Let us know.