Declaring a marriage
Do you want to get married in Leuven? Then you will have to file a declaration at the city office.
Can I get married in Leuven?
You can get married in Leuven if you or your partner officially live in Leuven.
When should I declare a marriage?
- At the earliest 14 days + 6 months before the wedding date
- At the latest 14 days before the wedding date
You get married on 1 September.
You can file a declaration from 14 days before 1 March.
How to declare?
1. Collect the documents
- The certificates have been drawn up in Belgium and you are registered in Belgium
We will collect the documents for you.
Request the collection of documents
- 1 of the partners does not have the Belgian nationality or was not born or registered in Belgium
Call or send an e-mail for an overview of the documents needed:
2. Go to the municipal office
Book an appointment if you have collected all the necessary documents.
3. When you make the declaration, we will set the wedding date.
When can you get married?
- On Wednesdays between 11 a.m. and 12 noon
- On Fridays between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- On Saturdays between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
4. Your wedding takes place at the town hall.
Because of restoration works, weddings currently do not take place in the salons, but in the town hall's Gothic hall.
Visit the town hall's rooms virtuall
You can pay cash or by bank card.
Do you not speak Dutch?
The civil servant performs the marriage in Dutch.
Does 1 of the partners not speak Dutch? You will have to bring a sworn interpreter (at your own expense).